Quarter Life Crisis

John Mayer said it best, “It might be a quarter life crisis.” learning as you go

Okay, maybe that’s a little extreme. I definitely think he hit the nail on the head when he said, “Cause I wonder sometimes, about the outcome, of a still verdictless life.” Those words sting a bit, don’t they? Who wants that? I don’t…I can’t. Mediocre isn’t a part of my vocabulary anymore. I was granted the opportunity to flex my freedom muscle, if you will, and I’m not going to let it go to waste.

The last month and a half has been a bit of a roller coaster ride and anyone who knows me on an amusement park level knows that I stopped voluntarily riding those years ago. One too many nightmares, let me tell ya.

I’ve experienced a handful of small victories, several setbacks and more days than I can count where I sat thinking to myself, “What on earth am I doing?” Especially when things aren’t coming to fruition as fast as I want them to. I’m learning that sometimes passion gets in the way of patience.

Lisa over at Elembee is one of the few people that I allow to call my inbox home and every Sunday she challenges my way of thinking. Last week’s letter struck a cord with me when she asked, “What do you want to do in your life right now, and how can you start putting it out there in the world through your website?” Okay then. It was almost as if I could hear her asking me, “How are people going to know that you’d like to take on freelance writing projects for lifestyle brands unless you’re sharing that information with them?” That was a light bulb moment if I’ve ever had one.

So, I took the first step. It was a baby step – it was something. You’ll notice a new addition at the top of my page, a declaration of sorts and a small gesture to keep me accountable. Now, don’t go poking around expecting to find anything too over the top. I’ve put a few placer words in there for now while I fine tune the verbiage that will show off my skills in the best way possible.

IF YOU COULD SHARE ONE GOAL/ASPIRATION WITH THE WORLD RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE? I’D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT DOWN IN THE COMMENTS!

Photo via Not Your Standard

1. SarahLagen

I LOVE the updated tab!! I think it is amazing that you are putting it out there and I can’t wait to hear about the next project you take on! Keep going girl!! 🙂

1. Jessica

Thank you so much, Jana. That honestly just made my day! You inspire me just as much and I can tell that this year is going to be an exciting one for you 🙂

2. Alyssa Ponticello

Passion is constantly getting in the way of my patience. Like seriously, why can’t things just happen yesterday already??!! But I’ve slowly started to learn that sometimes it’s those small steps (that are so simple we often overlook them) that truly help us get where we’re trying to go. Yay for taking your first small step! Loving the new tab up top 🙂

1. Jessica

Heard that! Thank you 🙂 It seemed silly to share something so small, but I’m hoping the words flow more freely now when I go to finish the page.

3. Kari Holtkamp

This is really awesome, Jess!!! Sometimes it can be so hard to say what you really want. You’re so inspiring to put it out there and take the plunge:) You go girl!

1. Jessica

It is hard, especially when there are so many naysayers out there ready to put you back into your place. But after losing my job, I don’t have a place anymore and I’ve got to find myself a new one 🙂

4. Jessika Garcia

Yay Jess! I wish many more opportunities to FLY your way! My goal is to be a kick-ass blogger that big brands will want to work with someday! You’re so inspiring Jess! xo

5. Sarah @ 702 Park Project

I love this post! And I love Elembee’s newsletters too! It’s people like her that encouraged me to open up my own small business…which happened just this week! I can’t wait to see all the opportunities that are sure to come your way. 🙂

6. Guest

Congratulations! The first thing to do is to put yourself out there – and you did! Freelance writing is a great start because people can read your blog to see your voice and the community you’ve created.

7. Rachelle

I personally feel like I need to take a step back and reboot. I have way to much going on right now, maybe I’m extra dramatic because I’m sick lol. My career is important and I’m working towards that. But my blog and etsy shops are my babies and I want to see them grow, so this year I’ve been actively working on them. I know you will succeed, because you are smart and talented, so keep doing what you’re doing.

xo
    PinkSole

8. Diana Leigh Baber

I’d love to have my paintings in more local shops and really promote my Esty shop. It’s scary to put myself out there but it’s also very rewarding. Keep up the good work, Jess!

1. Jessica

Thank you, Diana! I’ve found that sometimes all you need to do is ask – I’ve heard yes more often than no lately. Have you talked to Robin over at Tulip on the Plaza? She might be interested in doing something like that with you 🙂

9. Joyce Novacek

I can certainly relate to wanting things to happen faster than they do. Life takes its sweet, sweet time. I quit my job ~6 months ago to focus on writing & of course I’m just learning now how LONG the road to publishing is 🙂

I love how you put new tabs on your blog — that’s huge! I actually read an interview from the author of a decorating book that said just typing on her website about page “I hope to one day write a book” really made a difference for her in the long run 🙂 Good luck!

1. Jessica

That’s great that you took the plunge – we’re all learning as we go! I’ve found that if I put myself out there on my blog or social media I’m far more inclined to follow through with whatever goal I’ve set for myself. I hope you have a great weekend, Joyce!

10. Amy

Love it! Go you! I have similar aspirations – would love to write and create content for lifestyle brands. I think the older I get and the further I go in my career, the clearer my ambitions become. I’m glad this topsy turvy path of yours has made things a bit clearer. Can’t wait to see you kill it! x

1. Jessica

Let’s just say I’ve had a lot of extra time to think! Thanks for always being an extra boost of motivation for me, Amy! Enjoy the weekend ahead 🙂

11. Erica Zucco

I deal with this at work from time to time. There’ll be an an opportunity i’d like to be considered for, but instead of throwing my hat into the ring, I keep telling myself that if I was good for it, my boss would notice and tap me for it. Sometimes it takes a little confidence and a little courage to go for it! This is a good reminder.
    Thanks!!