Weekend Run

My mind always feels fresh coming off the weekend and rather than slowly building my momentum, I’m working on going after the bigger tasks at hand first – then sprinkling in smaller to-dos where I need to in the remaining days of the week.

This is where you come in. How do you feel about a starting a monthly check-in to keep each other accountable when it comes to the goals we set a few weeks back? It doesn’t have to be anything formal, just an uplifting and motivating conversation down in the comments. Or we can take things to Facebook and Twitter, if that’s more your thing!

Whether you’re chasing a new career path, revamping your lifestyle or taking to the treadmill to train for a half marathon, a little dose of accountability can go a long way.

Are you in?

I don’t want to startle anyone knowing damn good and well how testy Mondays can be, but we’re about to close out the first month of 2015. What are you doing to make sure you don’t end up disappointed come December…when we’re all in reflection mode – evaluating what we set out to accomplish with the bright promise of a new year.

I’ll take the lead…

half marathon training

SHOP RACE GEAR:

I ran my first race of the year yesterday with Shanley. Actually, let’s refer to it as an eye-opener, because that is precisely what it was for me. If you were to ask me yesterday if I ever wanted to run more than 6 miles again in my life, I would have looked at you like you stole a donut right out of my hand.

groundhog run 10kThe run unfolded a little something like this…

The race was completely underground, so aptly named The Groundhog Run. Claustrophobia and anxiety set in as we herded into the starting area. So many people, so little space to escape (if necessary).

…the real panic set in when I realized that my cell service was completely non-existent. No Pandora, no stellar YouTube playlist that Pete assembled for me when I started half marathon training. There I was, stuck with the 14 songs I have downloaded on iTunes because I’m cheap like that.

Then came the real torture. For some ungodly known reason, only a handful of the songs would actually play. Shout out to Ludacris, Sam Smith and Jacquees. Music is everything when I’m running, but when you have to listen to the same five songs over and over, things get boring real fast.

Then came the warm pockets of air, which were thick through the first several miles. This is a recipe for disaster for someone that gets overheated in the coolest of temps (I’m that girl). Mile 3 brought sweet relief in the form of a cold pocket and another water station. I stopped every. single. time.

I caught a glimpse of the outdoors around mile 5 and a small part of me wanted to sneak out and call it a day, the devil on my shoulder kept whispering, “no one will even know.” Another pep talk from Shanley reassured me that we were close to finishing and I needed to get my mind right.

Just as the same Ludacris song began to play for what was probably the 7th time, I heard it….cowbells. Typically these are known as the most annoying form of encouragement in a sport setting. Not today! That clanking meant the finish line was deliciously close. I’ve never, ever been more happy to see the end of a race. And I’m not just saying that.

We finished in just over an hour, although I know Shanley would have cruised on by if it weren’t for me, but I’m really thankful that she was willing to hang back and wait while I walked through the water stations and slowed down when the heartbeat in my head got to be too much. I have a feeling our finish line photo is going to be a real gem. Spoiler alert: we were holding hands.

I’ve got my work cut out for me if I want to run the Rock the Parkway Half Marathon in under two hours. I’m determined to train hard these next few months and focus on what my body is telling me so that I can make the most of my runs.

How are things going on your end? Have you made any progress this first month of the new year? Don’t be shy..

1. Katie @ Live Half Full

My January has gone pretty well! My tiny goals for the month were to walk my dog every morning, track my food on MFP to get used to normal portions post-holidays and check in with my husband every night. I feel like these habits are sticking and I’m ready to add on a few new ones in February!

2. Erica

Oh no, that doesn’t sound like a fun race. You did finish though, which deserves congratulations!

I’m doing alright on my goals for the year. Some are better than others. I scheduled time throughout the year to review my progress on the 15th of each month. I’m also going to print them out so I can carry them with me and refer to them often. Hopefully this will keep them on my mind!

3. Alexandra Sperrazza

It’s great that you’re taking a not so great race experience and turning it into motivation for future races! I tend to be kind of quiet about some of my personal fitness goals so it’s good that we can hold each other accountable. I’ve definitely started some healthy habits this winter without huge results. I’m confident I can stick with them and am already feeling better and stronger.

1. Jessica

Whatever works for you. And you know you can always share your goals with me 🙂 I think switching it up and slowly adding smaller tweaks to the norm here and there really helps me. We can chat more on Friday!

4. AnnicaNicole

giving you mad kudos for that race! I know we have very similar goals for rock The Parkway so I’m all for keeping each other accountable! Let me know if you need an motivational text every now and then! We will finish in under 2 hours even if it means taking turn carrying one another to the finish!

Annica

5. Rachel

Well dang, I don’t know that I could run that far or finish a race without my much needed playlist! Congrats on completely the race! My January has been a bit slow, but I’m forgiving myself because I need to learn to do that this year too (otherwise I’ll drive myself crazy and never accomplish anything)! Anyway – today is my birthday, so time to get focused again – starting tomorrow 🙂

6. Laura S.

Oh no, I definitely would not have had a good race either! At least you’re using it the right way! My January has gone alright. I’ve been doing the Love Your Body challenge with Tone It Up, but I’ve fallen off the wagon over the past few days. I’m going to be picking myself back up and heading back to the gym!

1. Jessica

I wasn’t big on running until the beginning of last year, but it’s really changed the way I think and feel. I hope you’re having a great day Nancy!

7. Nikki

So exciting that you finished your first race of 2015! That is so awesome. I would totally go NUTS without music for my runs. Music is essential for me.

Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

8. Elle

I felt pretty much the same way about the race. There was definitely a panic about 1/2 mile left to go because I felt so overheated… I lived for those railroad tracks because it meant a blast of cool air… I was so lucky to have so podcasts downloaded to run to, but I was bummed my Runkeeper didn’t work so I had absolutely no idea what my pace was. All in all I’d probably do it again, because it was much better than running outside in January. Next time I’ll wear shorts tho!

The Clean Project

9. Dianna @ Chard in Charge

I find it hard to believe that it was any harder than a half marathon. You totally can! Look at you! I also can’t wait to see the finish line photo 🙂 January is going good for me – new job, better blogging, and I’m happy to say I’m hobbling like an old woman from a good workout yesterday.

1. Jessica

Girl, I’m not even kidding. I was driving that struggle bus!! You’re the best though 🙂 I just remembered, I haven’t checked for the pic. Doing that now!

You get it girrrrl! Wanna take a Bar Method class with me soon? 😉 Whaddaya say?

10. Katie

Hey girl! You did it – congrats! Finishing any race is a great accomplishment and I know you will be ready for your half. 🙂

I’m working on blending life, work and blogging and I think I’m doing a pretty good job. I don’t have any specific steps, but I try to be more mindful of how to spend my time. Chad and I took the time to put away the computers and watch a movie together. We have also been using the 5 Minute Journal, which I highly recommend!