December Update

get shit done

The month of November seemed to blow by faster than all the rest – did it not? Maybe you’re starting to notice a theme here (like me) or maybe you felt the same tinge of panic I did when you thought about all the things you wanted to accomplish in 2015. ‘Tis the season for reflecting, after all.

Looking back on this time last year, I had no idea what was in store for me (and to be honest, I don’t think I had a clear picture of where I saw myself when it came to the work slice of my life). I sort of cringed re-reading this post because it all seems so cut and dry. Not exactly the way life works, right?

To break it down: I didn’t run a half marathon in under two hours, I still can’t do the splits and unless a miracle happens, I’ll fall short of reaching my goals for social media (side note/positive: I’ve been really good at tracking my blog growth). I still spend money I could be saving and Corporate America is still my main gig. But that’s okay, because this year has been about so much more than that.

When I was laid off back in February, I was granted an opportunity to test the waters and try new things. I spent four months trying to hone in on what type of work I saw myself doing. I worked on freelance writing gigs and blogged as much as I could (all amounting to part-time work) and ultimately, I found myself itching to get back into a regular routine. I like working full-time and I like the financial security it gives me, but I also love this blog. At this point in my life, the two go hand-in-hand. I feel comfortable investing (and reinvesting) in my blog and that ignites something in me because I know it’s essential for growth. All this to say, I’ve found myself at a happy medium.

setting blog goals | @Jessicazimlich

Fast forward to now and switch gears a bit. I’ve fallen into some pretty bad habits, which I can pinpoint back to the beginning of the summer – carrying well into the fall, as you can see. Fellow Cancer’s, can you relate to this month’s horoscope? Everything about it was so spot on for me!

We’ve been eating out all the time and working out less. That combined with four Thanksgivings (and one Friendsgiving) has left me feeling less than stellar physically and subsequently, mentally. Going out to eat doesn’t feel like a treat anymore and I want to get away from that. Aside from a 2016 planning lunch for my day job, we’ve managed to make all of our meals at home this week and I’ve made it a point to workout each night. I’m excited to keep it up, but I’m even more excited to indulge at one of my favorite restaurants tonight!

As for the rest of December, I’m looking forward to sharing more of what makes me happy in this space (like outfits posts!), holiday parties, time with family and friends, making plans for next year and admittedly, the first snow of the season.

If you’ve got any bad habits you’re looking to ditch, The Everygirl makes a pretty good accountability partner and I plan to take them up on it.

Also, I really like how Meg breaks her goals down by month, which makes them seem more manageable. I still like the idea of setting long-term goals for the year, I just think I could benefit from doing this as well.

We’ve got 28 days left to make the most of 2015. What are you going to do with them?

Last note: The $100 Tiny Prints giveaway ends soon!

Photos by Sarah Sweeney Co.

34 thoughts on “December Update

1. Whitney Dunbar

2016 is our year!!!! We have been and will continue to be each other’s accountability partners 😊 I got you girl!

2. Jessa

I love working a full time job but i need to make more time for my blog. I love writing, but after working sometimes it’s the last thing on my mind. I haven’t been working out as much as I would like either. (And I work at a gym)

3. Jessika

JESS! Your honesty about life makes me smile and ALWAYS gives me hope. It’s been a tough four months with my boyfriend in and out of jobs. Living (or surviving) in Hawaii is a struggle! I feel ya when you say,l that eating out no longer feels like a treat. Which is why we have been trying our absolutely hardest to cook more. I’m not much of a chef, but I think I’m really starting to like cooking. I can’t wait to read more of your goals for 2016! xo – Jessika

1. Jess Post author

If it helps one person, then it’s worth it 🙂 I totally feel your pain there and hope that settles for you both soon. I’ve heard that Hawaii is hard and I can imagine the job situation makes it even more rough. Keep your chin up! I hope you’re having a good weekend and I’m looking forward to sharing more of my goals later this month!

4. Amanda Katherine

Cheers to finding a happy medium! I’m still working on that :/ Tracking my blog growth and social media is something I’m trying to get better at. How do you do it?

amandakatherine.com

5. Nicole

Wow!! This really put 2015 into perspective for me! I graduated college in May and still have found a full-time job, and it feels like the last month or so I kinda put a hold on applying for jobs. I mean rejections are hard! 🙁 But I just wanted to say this post kinda gave me that push to keep trying and push for what I want in a career. Thank you! 🙂

1. Jess Post author

I’m so happy to hear it resonated with you! It took me 6 months after graduation to land a job and I agree, it was tough…especially on the ego. Since then I’ve been laid off twice, but things always seem to work themselves out for the best. Support systems are everything – so lean on yours (or just come to this space to chat!) and network like crazy 🙂 You will get there!

1. Jess Post author

Thank you so much, Kelly! I need to be better about keeping myself on track in all areas of my life 😉 I hope you’re having a great week so far! Can’t wait to hear more on the Great American Thanksgiving Saga 😉

6. Shirsha | The Good Living Blog

I was eating like a glutton for almost all of October and till about mid-November (holidays + birthdays + festivals). I wanted a clean break, and decided to give Whole30 a try. I’m on day 19 right now, and from a food habits point of view, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. Have you ever tried it?

And congratulations of finding a happy medium. I find myself unable to blog seriously at a stretch. I wanna make that one of my priorities in the coming year!

Have a great December!

1. Jess Post author

I’m an extremely picky eater (which doesn’t help matters) so I haven’t tried Whole30! Maybe I could do a variation of it? Something is always better than nothing, right? You will get there! I hope you enjoy December as well 🙂

7. Jessica S

Hey I feel you on this. I got a recent kick in the pants when my bf revealed he has lost 20 pounds. Usually we work out together especially on weekends but lately work/weather/life had me feeling blah and i’ve been ordering out and foregoing my workouts. Never to late to re-commit to yourself. Kudos!

1. Jess Post author

Hi Jessica! I’m so glad it resonated with you. Weather and time change is the absolute worst when it comes to motivating myself to get to the gym! And you’re right, it’s never too late to re-commit. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment…we can do it 🙂

1. Jess Post author

I’m not sure what it is, but I’m out of control! Thank you so much for saying that – you just made my day 🙂 Hope you’re having a great one, Megan!

8. Pingback: The best activated charcoal face mask | 26 and Not Counting

9. shaheen khan

It can be SO hard to find a balance and you are encouraging me to embrace the chaos that it may sometimes be. Your blog is such an inspiration and I love reading it but I agree I like the stability of my job too. Thanks for sharing and maybe by next year we can both do the splits 🙂

1. Jess Post author

My life is a circus, but I wouldn’t have it any other way! You just made my week saying that, so thank you. 🙂 The same goes for yours! As for the splits, here’s to trying!

10. Alissa

Even though I haven’t gotten to see you as much as I feel like I want to, I can tell you are a lot more at peace with yourself and that is so important. I feel like you’ve really hit your stride and that has been my favorite to watch!
    The Adored Life