I’m getting an Instagram husband.

I couldn’t resist with the title. If you haven’t seen the video and you’re in the mood for a good laugh, I’ve put a link to it at the bottom of this post.

The real reason we’re all gathered here today (ahem, is that how this goes?)…Pete and I got engaged last week! Everyone keeps asking me how I feel and all I can say is I feel happy – like I’m right where I need to be, ya know? The past 5 years together have brought much-needed contentment to my life and I am so insanely lucky to have someone who supports me the way he does.

Pete has always said he would have married me the day he met me if he could have. I’m really glad that didn’t happen because we met at a bar in college and we all know nothing good happens in bars while you’re in college.

In all seriousness though, I’ve always pushed off the idea of getting married on account of the fact that timing wasn’t right. It occurred to me this fall timing is never, ever going to be right and that old cliché saying “life is short” rings true.
engagement

I think true love is about the little things. Like finding someone who fixes your inside out socks before throwing them in the wash (why he takes them off like that is beyond me) or someone who is ready and willing to bring you a glass of ice water when you’re already tucked tightly into bed (because I always decide I’m thirsty after the fact). It’s those small gestures you don’t consciously think about, you simply do them because you care. That’s what love means to me, and there are no words to express how thankful I am to be able to experience it.

I’ve also been getting a whole lot of, “So, how did it happen?!” And then I tell people he got down on one knee in our kitchen last Thursday afternoon while we were listening to one of our favorite songs. Our apartment here in Kansas City is home to us and it made perfect sense it would happen there – a nod to the life the two of us have made here.

We don’t have any plans yet and I can’t promise you our nuptials will be conventional or in line with “tradition,” but I can promise we’re going to make sure everyone has a night they’ll never forget, because we believe those memories are what make this life so sweet.

If you’re curious about the ridiculousness that is the Instagram husband, watch this. My girlfriends can attest, photography isn’t exactly Pete’s forte and we have the group shots to prove it. 😉

Enjoy your New Year’s Eve and I’ll catch you in 2016!

67 thoughts on “I’m getting an Instagram husband.

1. Mom

My heart truly rejoices in the fact that you have found the one who knows your heart. The one who values you, cares for you, respects and loves you. I’m so proud of the woman you have grown up to be, in spite of your imperfect upbringing on my part, you figured it out. And, I do know how imperfect it was, you overcame a great deal to arrive here. You figured out what it took me years and years to. And, I’m so happy you and Pete found in each other your partner in life. A parent always wants better for their child than what they have had, or done or whatever, and in you I could not be happier, because you have it. I see you and the person you are and I beam to know you’re my daughter. Though I’m certain very little of it has to do with me, it makes me happy none the less to know you’re happy, healthy and wise beyond your years. And, that someone recognized that in you and that he cares for you like you care for him, that you truly love one another. It’s all I could hope for in life for you. Things will never bring happiness, it’s the people you have, the love that gives that, and I know you get it! The rest is just icing on the proverbial cake! I love you, Jess so very much!

2. Amber

Awww!! Congratulations!! This is so exciting 🙂 This is only my first visit to your blog but I’m so happy for the both of you. What a great holiday season it is for you, and a great way to start off 2016!!!! Happy New Year 😀

XO,
    amber

3. Jennifer T.

Congratulations, Jessica & Pete! I have only met you two once and i could see just how much you two love each other. I am glad that you have found true love and happy to hear that you’re planning the rest of your lives together! Y’all seem like a happy, fun & vibrant couple. Here’s to you guys! Congrats, again!! -Jennifer

1. Jess Post author

Thank you so much! That’s really sweet of you to say and it made me smile. I hope the new year is off to a great start! 🙂

4. Meg

This makes me so very happy! And I love the video. Haha. I am so sure that’s Pete! I can always tell when I see your plates (I know who’s is who’s) 😂 Can’t wait for the festivities to begin. Love you both!

1. Jess Post author

Hahahah I’m cracking up. I’m so lucky to have a friend like you, Meg! And yes, there will be plentyyyyy of celebrating. Love you 🙂

5. Stacy

Oh my gosh! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I’ve always thought proposals where it was just the two of you are so romantic. That’s how it happened for me and I wouldn’t have had it any other way! So happy for the two of you!

6. Jessika

Aaahhh!! I’m still extremely excited for you and Pete ❤️ I can’t wait to read more about your wedding/married adventures!

1. Jess Post author

I couldn’t help myself 😉 I really appreciate you acknowledging that – thank you! I hope 2016 is off to a great start for you!

1. Jess Post author

Haha so glad people can share in my humor. Thanks so much girlfriend! It’s going to be one hell of a party…I promise you that 🙂 GET READY!

7. Nicole

FINALLY! I’ve been waiting all week to hear the details! Congrats and so, so happy for you. Being engaged is so much fun and magical. And your mom is ADORABLE based on her comment above 🙂 You are clearly one very loved little lady. Cannot wait to see what happens!

1. Jess Post author

Woo! Thank you so much, Nicole 🙂 We’re both really excited to plan a big party and get everyone together to celebrate. Any tips? Things you would have done differently? She really does love me and I’m glad that people can see that.

1. Jess Post author

Definitely not late…the party is still going! Seriously though, thank you. We can’t wait to celebrate with family and friends 😉

8. noelani

So excited for you friend! Have to confess I saw your sister last week and she told me how it happened;) Very happy you’ve found your true love, I didn’t find mine until 34 so it pays to wait!! Can’t wait to see what the new year brings my friend. Cheers!

1. Jess Post author

Haha awww, I’m glad she’s excited to tell people! Same to you, Noelani 🙂 Let’s get together soon for some green juice.

9. Maya

I can’t even put into words how incredibly happy I am for you my love! You deserve the world, and from what I’ve heard – you definitely picked a good one! Can’t wait to see how your plans unfold – I’ll be cheering for you big time from the sidelines! xx

1. Jess Post author

You’re too sweet! I think I’ll keep him around 😉 So far I’ve googled “how to plan a wedding” and the results were overwhelming so I stopped haha. I hope our paths cross soon!

10. Pingback: Fresh Start - 26 and Not Counting

11. Pingback: Weekly Rounds Vol. 34 - 26 and Not Counting

1. Jess Post author

It’s been a whirlwind, but I love a reason to celebrate 😉 I need to text you about wedding planning, because I am borderline clueless lol

12. Pingback: Life Update - 26 and Not Counting

13. Pingback: You Can't Have It All - 26 and Not Counting

14. Pingback: Weekly Rounds Vol. 36 - 26 and Not Counting

15. Pingback: Miami in May - 26 and Not Counting

16. Pingback: Color Crush - 26 and Not Counting

17. Pingback: Miami Beach Travel Guide - 26 and Not Counting

18. Pingback: Weekly Rounds Vol. 39 (and an impromptu trip) - 26 and Not Counting

19. Pingback: Beauty Products I Purchase Time and Time Again - 26 and Not Counting

20. Pingback: Matters Of The Heart - 26 and Not Counting