Let Me Update Ya

It’s time to update you on the circus that is my life. You might remember I was laid off from my job in marketing three months ago. If you don’t, I’d like to know your tips for magically erasing such events from ones mind, because it’s been all-consuming here on my end.

stripes are always a good idea

The internet is bursting at the seams with life mantras, preaching at you to go for it and everything will fall into place. I didn’t go for it – I was more or less shoved – and things didn’t exactly fall into place for me, until now.

I was flipping through the May issue of SELF magazine recently (talk about being behind) and I read an article written by Emma Straub, a novelist, who said, “Too much freedom, I found, can feel as stifling as too little – purposeless and desperate.”

While we’re at it, this Levo Leauge article also resonated with me. Jessica Knoll, author of Luckiest Girl Alive said, “If you suddenly quit your job and have all this free time to devote to your passion project, I just don’t think you’re going to be as motivated to work on it. I think you’re actually going to feel really overwhelmed and like you don’t know where to start because you have too much time on your hands.”

This is precisely where I found myself. Overwhelmed and unsure. I thrive on being busy and the workload I created for myself wasn’t cutting it. So…

desk styling

I got a new job.

And let me tell  ya, the past two and a half weeks have been a true testament to the amount of work that goes into blogging – not to mention working full-time, maintaining a social life, working out and taking the necessary time to unplug and recharge. A moment of silence for my sanity, please.

I’ve found myself in a position where I’ll be writing, editing and managing projects within a corporate communications department. It’s a few blocks from our apartment (hallelujah, no commute!), the hours are great and it just felt right, ya know? Best of all, I have a renewed sense of motivation to grow and nurture this little side hustle of mine.

I’m of the belief that if you ever get to a place where you feel like you have it all figured out, you’ve stopped learning and subsequently, stopped growing. No matter what I’m doing in life, I always want to be bettering myself. That is my new mantra.

So that’s where I’m at. Right here, right now.

Top photo by Sarah Sweeney Co.

1. Katie

Congrats, Jess! I know we have yet to meet – but I can tell you have such a hard work ethic and do a fabulous job on your blog. You’re going to keep rocking it professionally and as a blogger. You go girl!

2. Gentry

I completely agree! The more I have going on the better I am at juggling it! But give me free time and I will give you procrastination city! ha! Congrats on the new job!!

3. Ellie O'Brien

That is SO wonderful Jess – congrats!! And I’m totally the same way… the busier I am, the more productive I am. But give me a week of to do whatever I want and I’ll waste it away! Keep working hard – I love your blog!

xo, ellie
    with love from ellie

4. withluckblog

Congratulations!! I went through a job change of my own a few months ago and that in between time was not so fun. It seems like you handled it much better than I did. Here’s so figuring it out as we go!

5. Lindsay Humes

So glad you are out of your slump, and excited about what you are working on! I think everyone goes through those kinds of periods, and I knew you would get out of it. It also helps that you finally got those tech issues resolved! 😉

1. Lindsay Humes

Oh no! I think the worst thing about slumps is the pressure I put on myself to get out of it. That’s like 1-2 days of the initial slump. Then, once I either realize that the pressure is doing nothing, I get out of it! Hang in there!

1. Jess Zimlich

It only took three months 😉 The tech issues finally being resolved definitely brought my stress levels down a few notches, too. Thank you again for all of your help!

6. SarahLagen

Congrats girl!! I absolutely love your outlook on everything! It sound like you are in a much better place and getting back to the work life- blog life- social life balance that you crave and thrive on!! Keep it going and I can’t wait to see you in a few weeks! 🙂

7. Kira Semple

You made things fall into place, Jess! That’s so amazing. I tend to laugh a little when I see those mantras all over Pinterest. Never stop learning, never stop growing- now that’s a mantra to live by! Wishing you the best!

Kira

8. Amanda Risius

Congrats!!! It’s great you have such a clear perspective and found the perfect solution for you, right now. The articles you referenced couldn’t be more true! Ahhh I wish I could write like you 🙂 Your new job is lucky to have you!

1. Jess Zimlich

Thank you so much, Amanda! Ahhh, that is way too nice of you 🙂 I hope your summer is off to a great start! p/s going on a hunt for that Target side table because of you 😉

9. Rachel

Congrats!!! Exactly wait until it feels right. It took me two years for something to feel right about relocating. I am so happy you found something.

10. Jen

So glad that you’re happy and found a new job! I can totally relate to the struggle to find time. I work full-time and I’m trying to plan a wedding, apartment hunt, AND stay fit while juggling this blog. So tough!!

Can’t wait to hear more about the job. It sounds perfect for you!

11. Ashley T

I can really relate to feeling like blogging full time would make things change. I almost appreciate the crazy balance that I attempt to do with my full time job and blogging. It keeps me on my toes! Congrats on the new job– you go girl!

1. Jess Zimlich

It really did, but I think for me since it wasn’t planned, everything just burned me out that much faster. For now, this is what I want and it’s what works. Sounds like we have the same type of mindset 😉

12. Pingback: Weekly Rounds Vol. 21 - 26 and Not Counting

13. Kari Holtkamp

That is great, Jess! I completely agree with you. While I’m at work, I’m always thinking of how much I could be accomplishing at home if I didn’t have a job. But when I do have time off, I don’t really do a lot:) I think it’s nice to be busy, not too busy, but busy enough where you have a structure to your day. Although I do like those times when I can just do whatever I want:) I’m so happy that you’re happy and now that big things are in store for you!

14. Pingback: Weekly Rounds Vol. 22 - 26 and Not Counting