Rock The Parkway

rock the parkway half marathon

I lined up for round two at the Rock The Parkway Half Marathon Saturday morning with that familiar anxious feeling in my stomach and a hot playlist on deck – all thanks to Pete! (for the playlist, not the nervous butterflies)

I’ll cut right to the chase/my finishing time, since I’m sure you’re all curious. I came in at 2:14:23.5 and you’ll notice that’s a far cry from the goal I set for myself. Things were going okay at first, not great, but okay. Shanley and I kept about a 9 minute mile pace through the first 6 miles, but I was driving the struggle bus.

You don’t have to be a mathematician to figure that I slowed down significantly during the second half of the race. After I broke apart from Shanley around mile 7 I started to crumble both mentally and physically. I tried to focus on the mantra I repeat to myself at Bar Method when my thighs want to give out or I’m positive that someone has actually lit my abs on fire. My body is stronger than my mind lets on. But it didn’t seem to be working and the piercing in my right lung and the pain in my upper back was screaming the exact opposite. The last five miles were a bit of a blur. Run, walk, run, walk, water, how much fartherrrrr.

The tears welled up in my eyes when I saw my Dad at mile 12 and I smiled for the first time in the last two hours. Then came Harper and Rhonda a little farther down and then I saw it, that glorious finish line. I ditched my ear buds as soon as I could see it because I knew that I would be able to hear the rest of my family and friends cheering and I wasn’t about to miss them. I can’t even put into words how much it meant to me to have so many people there cheering me on.

Half marathon number four wasn’t my best race, but it wasn’t my worst and at the end of the day, I still beat last year’s time. So I’m chalking this one up as a win and I’m on to the next one!

Pro tip/funny story: My Grandma had asked Pete what color my shoes were so that she could be looking for me and bless his heart, he wasn’t sure. So she moved on to my top and he said he thought it had some blue on it. As you can see, it’s a white top with teeny tiny gray stripes on it. My bib and sports bra were blue, but that’s about it! #men

I found this to be rather hilarious and it reminded me that I should probably give everyone a heads up on what I’m wearing next time around so that they aren’t trying to pick out a needle in a haystack (or better yet, wear something a little louder).

1. Biana Perez

Congratulations girl!! What an amazing accomplishment and I love the mantra that you kept telling yourself – you are stronger than your mind believes!! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston

2. Kari Holtkamp

You are AWESOME!!! Way to go!!!! I did the Trolley Run for a few years and that’s only 4 miles. I really have so much admiration for you for being able to run so far! What an incredible accomplishment, and you should be so proud of yourself! I am!! That is really funny about Pete. Next year you should wear some crazy loud outfit:)

3. Elle

Way to go! I’ve had races that I’ve had to drag myself through to finish and I’m always disappointed I didn’t do better, but I have to remind myself not many people are up early on a Saturday morning pushing themselves like that. That’s a huge accomplishment in itself!

Elle

4. Heather Hardy Porter

I’m so proud of you Jess! I’m so glad your mom and Bruce could be there and take pictures of you for the rest of us that couldn’t be there. I’m also happy that they brought your Grandma Kathy to see you run. Hopefully, I can make it to your next race to cheer you on! I love you, kid!!

1. Michelle Crenshaw

Heather, that would be so fun, if you could come to one with us! It was a blast to watch her! We saw her around mile 2 when we were driving up to meet Pete and all her friends, but when we honked she didn’t hear/see us. 🙁 But, she definitely saw and heard us at the finish line, LOL! It was great to see so many people run, there was a 95 year old man and even a little girl who looked about 11yo!!

5. Whitney Hinson

You know I am so so proud of you and I didn’t want to be anywhere else but there, cheering you on!!! I knew you would rock that parkway

6. Shaira Manalo

I’ve always wanted to join something like this, even just a color fun run or simply fun run. I’m always after the experience and fun of it. You did great in this marathon. 🙂 Great post!

Looking forward to see more of your posts. Do you have an instagram account? Maybe we could follow each other. Let me know by leaving a comment on my blog or sending me a request. I’ll follow back 🙂 Thanks!

IG: @shairangelique

Have a nice day!

xoxo,
    SHAIRA

7. Brazen Brunette

Congratulations on your four half marathon! You go girl!! I have always wanted to try to run a half or full marathon, but was always terrified. Maybe it’s not as scary as it seems! I’ll definitely have to look into one in the future.

xoxo Nicole