Tips For Making an Airbrush Tan Last
A few years ago, you could find me poolside slathering on SPF 8 working on my tan burn lines. Nowadays, I drown myself in SPF 50+, always wear a hat and freak out a little bit when I still get some sun. With that being said, that doesn’t mean I don’t miss looking sun-kissed!

I was so excited when Diana from Positive Radiance Tanning reached out to me about getting a complimentary airbrush tan before my birthday! I’ve never had one before and wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

airbrush tanning booth setup

Diana is bursting with positive energy and her genuine passion for giving people a healthy tan shines through in conversation. She thoroughly explained the process, the do’s & don’ts and made me feel totally at ease during the session. The girl knows her stuff when it comes to airbrush tanning.

I think the results speak for themselves, but if that isn’t enough, you can count on the trillion (roughly) compliments I received on how great my skin color looked.

little black dress
studded sandals

Here are her tips for making a spray tan last:
– Exfoliation is key. Exfoliate your skin with washcloth or exfoliating glove. Do not use a loofah. Loofahs exfoliate unevenly and will cause streaks as your tan fades.

– Shave or wax at least eight hours prior to your appointment. Shaving after your appointment will cause your skin to exfoliate and shorten the life of your tan. Shaving shortly before your tan can cause your pores to open and may leave your legs looking β€œfreckled” after your tanning session.

– Skin should be clean before your airbrush tanning session. Do not use lotion, moisturizer, oils or makeup. Pretty much anything that can block the absorption of your tan. Dry skin areas will be treated prior to your airbrush session.

– Do not use Dove soap. Dove soap will leave a barrier on your skin and can block absorption of the tan. Wear dark, loose fitting clothing to your appointment. Plan to wear these clothes for a few hours after your appointment.

– Chance for rain? Make sure to bring an umbrella. Rain is not nice to fresh airbrush tans!
– Want your airbrush tan to last? Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! You can read more about how to care for your airbrush tan post spray down by visiting Diana’s site

In Kansas City or the surrounding area? Diana is giving away a free airbrush tan and mini bottle of Hempz lotion as a part of the Celebration Giveaway – be sure to enter!

25 thoughts on “Tips For Making an Airbrush Tan Last

1. Ashley White

These are great spray/airbrush tanning tips! I had not heard that about shaving- I knew not to shave directly after, lest you remove a layer of your new tan, but didn’t realize shaving right before was a no-no. I’ll have to keep this in mind! πŸ™‚

PS Chuy’s sounds FUN. I haven’t been yet. Let’s goooo!

-Ashley

2. Kari Holtkamp

Your tan looks great!! My big question–does it smell? I bought some Jergens stuff from the store and couldn’t stand the smell. I really want a sun kissed look, though. Love that dress! You look fab!

3. AnnicaNicole

I’ve never had a spray tan, but a lady I do Mary Kay with owns a business here in Denver. I’m going to be brave and get one for my friends wedding in October once my summer tan has worn off!

4. Rachel

I have never had a spray tan, but you look amazing! I get scared about looking too fake, but I might have to try one out before my friend’s wedding at the end of August!

5. Life_of_Meg

Great tips on prolonging my spray tan – my appt. is next Thursday – so thanks lady! And as always… that outfit/shoes *swoon* πŸ™‚

6. Alyssa Ponticello

I used to be the same way as you about being in the sun…and now I’m the same as you about being in the sun! I’m so paranoid of getting burned now haha Your spray tan looks amazing and so natural!!

7. Jessica

Thank you Hollie! I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out πŸ™‚ hahaha french fries only smell good if you’re eating them πŸ˜‰

8. Jessica

My tan is still going strong and I’ve had it for over a week. I’m lovin’ it! Thanks lady – Forever 21 steal for the dress and trusty TJMaxx for the sandals. Hope your week was great!

9. Jessica

It doesn’t smell one bit! The whole process was so easy and I never looked streaky/splotched and I’m going on day 9! Definitely give her a try πŸ™‚ This dress only cost me $22 from Forever and I’ve got my moneys worth! Thank you for the sweet words, Kari!

10. Jessie

I was just going to say the same thing, Rachel! Perfect for early fall when you can still rock skirts/dresses… I’m a spray-tan-virgin, but am thinking that this will be my year! πŸ™‚ (Thankfully now I have the handy tips to make it even more worth the effort and $!)

Thanks, J!

11. Jessica

I was too! I have been pleasantly surprised at how long it’s lasted. You will have to let me know if you end up getting one. Sure hope your weekend is great!

12. Jessica

I was a total beginner so I soaked up all the tips I could get haha. Chuy’s data SOON! Hope your weekend is off to a great start πŸ™‚